Tax the Rich, #CancelRent, End Homelessness
Housing policies that serve people, not real estate
New York had a housing crisis before the COVID-19 pandemic. 92,000 New Yorkers sleep in shelter each night, and millions more are living one paycheck away from an eviction. We believe that housing is a human right, and that in the richest state in the richest country in the world we can eliminate evictions and end homelessness. We fight for tenant-and-homeless centered policy changes at the local, state, and federal level that advance that vision.
What we’re fighting for
Eviction Free New York
Evictions and displacement are violent — and they are far too common. The consequences of evictions follow tenants and families for decades. We support policies that expand tenants’ rights to organize for healthy homes, against unjust evictions, and against unaffordable rent hikes. We can win an #EvictionFreeNY where everyone is housed securely and all tenants are protected.
Good Cause Eviction (Salazar/Hunter) (S3082)
- Protections from unjust evictions for all renters, with specific provisions allowing limited rent increases based on consumer price index.
- Provide basic protections to millions of unregulated renters across the State
- Allows eviction for good cause, like owner-use or lease violations
- Fiscal Impact: None
We can eliminate homelessness in New York State. It is unconscionable that in one of the wealthiest states in the county, we have more than 92,000 New Yorkers without a home. We are fighting to house every New Yorker permanently and sustainably.
Housing Access Voucher Program (Kavanagh/Cymbrowitz) (S280A/A3701)
- Creates a rental assistance program for New Yorkers who are currently homeless or are at risk of homelessness, including undocumented New Yorkers and those who are not currently on public assistance
- Fiscal Impact: The number of vouchers will depend on how deeply the program is funded. In 2021, we are requesting $500 Million in funding for this program.
Social Housing For All
We are fighting for housing for people, not for profit. The demand to #CancelRent must be paired with a longer-term vision of reclaiming millions of apartments as regulated, social housing. Social housing — housing that is protected from the private market — is the only housing that is capable of solving the homelessness crisis.
Sign our petition to cancel rents and mortgages by May Day
Support our fight to Tax the Rich for Housing Justice
Find your local organization
Connect with member organizations near you.